When your spouse is active duty then you should definitely have a Power Of Attorney. This piece of paper enables you to sign and speak on your spouses behalf. I've had to sign military housing leases, civilian housing lease, speak with the bank and buy a car all while using a power of attorney.

There's a General Power Of Attorney and there are specific Power Of Attorneys. Most places like banks and housing want a specific power of attorney. Some places will not accept any power of attorney.

The Power of Attorney forms are online and can be printed. You no longer need to go inside the legal office on base if you have a Notary Public closer to you. Navy Federal Credit Union will notarize your forms for free. Some other banks will notarize your forms for free as well.

Click HERE for the Special Power of Attorney Forms.

Updated: January 10, 2019